Google Geo Tools
Quick Overview (Make your own Copy)
Google Geo Tools
- What's New at Google Maps
- Google Maps - Great for directions and exploration but not much else.
- My Maps - The map creation tool for the Google Maps. Create customized maps with layers and data sets.
- Google Street View App - 360 degree photos
- Tour Builder - Create customized mapping program. Tutorial - Sample Tour
- Tour Creator - Create 360 degree VR Tours
- Google Earth (Web) - https://earth.google.com
- Google Arts & Culture - Learn something new every day
- Keyword Blog - Maps
- Google Lit Trips - Many have been revamped so that Google Earth is not needed.
- Google Maps Streetview Gallery
- Earth View extension for Chrome - Adds a satellite image from Google Maps every time you open a new tab.
- Google Street View Tour of Diagon Alley
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- The Hobbit: Battle of Middle Earth in Google Maps
- Google Geo Tools Google Search
- Instant Google Street View.com & Instant Google Street View.net
- 10 Amazing Google Geo Tools - Kasey Bell
- Google Sky - Web-based images of outer space.
- Google Maps in Space - A combination of Google Earth, Street View, and planets in our Solar System.
- Mapping tools that can help you change the world. - Google Earth Out Reach
- Become a Google Mapping Expert - Google Earth Outreach - Tutorials
- World Data Atlas - Chrome Extension - Website - Great place to find facts and statistics to use in My Maps
- (Not Google but still cool) Ancient Earth Globe from The Dinosaur Database
Resources Links for Google Geo Tools
- About Google Maps: It's more than getting directions
- My Maps Gallery - Maps Shared by others and your My Maps
- My Maps Samples - Templates to download (kml files)
- How to Download kml Files from Google Maps - Richard Byrne
- Google Maps for Education: Lessons and Resources from Google.
- Google Earth Walks - Student solve real world problems using Google Geo Tools and GPS.
- Geo4Edu - Kurt Wismer - His site is amazing and curated. It includes student lessons and lots of resources for Google Maps, Earth, and now VR.
- Google Maps for Educators
- Fun with Google Maps
- Where's Odysseus? Activity from Aaron Davis's blog.
More Resource Presentations:
- Student Created My Maps - Austin Houp
- Map it with Google Maps - Kimberly Mattina
- Gearing Up with Google Maps - Iosif - Good explanation of Google Maps and the rest.
- Get Healthy with Google Fit and My Maps - Eric Curts
- Digital Storytelling Without Word Processing Part 1: Google Apps - Tom Mullaney (My Maps)
Google Tour Builder
Tour Builder - Create Google Maps Tours
- Eric Curt's Template for adding images to Tourbuilder
- Text Template for TourBuilder (Eric Curts)
- How to use Google Tour Builder in the Elementary Classroom - Brittnay Washburn (Nice, basic tutorial)
Google Tour Creator
Google Tour Creator - Create 360 VR tours
- Google Tour Creator Basic Walk Through - Steve Brambury - Blog post: In the Golden Circle: Tour Creator
- How to Use Google Tour Creator with Students - Brian Buffington - Pioneer RESA Tech
- How to Use Google's New VR Tour Creator - Richard Bryne (tutorial)
- How to Add Points of Interest to Virtual Reality Tours in Google's Tour Creator - Richard Byrne (tutorial)
- Add Google VR Tour Creator to your Curriculum This Year - Shawn Beard - The Techy Coach
- Google Expeditions and Tour Creator with Antigoni Parmaxi - The Suite Talk Pod/Videocast, 07/02/09
- Engage Learning with Student Created Tours - Alice Keeler
- Tour Creator Help page
Google Earth (Web)
The web version of Google Earth will run on a Chromebook.
More resources to come. Be aware that this is a limited version of Google Earth an many of the things you can do in Tour Builder and the desktop version will not work.
- Google Earth Outreach
- Keyword Blog - Google Earth
- Google Earth Studio - Create animations with Google Earth Images
- Games in Google Earth
- Where in Google Earth is Carmen Sandiego
- Tour 31 US National Parks in Google Earth
- The World's Oceans - Underwater Street View tours in Google Earth
- Magic School Bus: The Ultimate Field Trip with Google Earth - EdTech Team
Google Earth (Desktop)
- Karen's Google Earth Resource Folder - Includes step-by-step directions on how to create Google Earth place marks. Also cut-and-paste html code for advanced customization.
- Karen's Creative Story In Google Earth KMZ File
- Google Earth Blog - Unofficial
- An Easy Way to find Google Earth Tours - Richard Byrne
Google Expeditions - VR experiences you can share with your class using Google Cardboard or not.
- Keyword Blog - Google Expeditions
- You will need the Google Expeditions App, the Google Street View App, the Cardboard App and the Cardboard Camera App - All are available on iOS and Android. Some Chromebooks now run Google Expeditions.
- All You Need Is Chromebooks…For Google Expeditions! - Tom Mullaney
- Google Geo VR - From the Google Earth Blog
- Apps for Google Cardboard - From Google
Google Arts and Culture
- Lit Trips on Chromebooks with the New Google Earth - Eric Curts
- Create your own Lit Trips (and more) for Google Earth - Eric Curts
- 10 Amazing Google Geo Tools for Your Classroom - Kasey Bell
- kmz file - plate tectonics (you will need to download this. It can be uploaded to either Google Earth or My Maps.)
- Geo4Edu - Kurt Wismer -His site is amazing and curated. It includes student lessons and lots of resources for Google Maps, Earth, and now VR.
- VR Apps I like: Google Arts and Culture - iOS/Android, Discover VR- iOS/Android, NYTVR- iOS/Android, Within- iOS/Android, Virtual Speech- iOS/Android, Sites in VR- iOS/Android, VR Moon- iOS/Android, 1600- iOS/Android, Quiver- iOS/Android, Statue of Liberty - IOS
- Google Earth VR - for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive - Sme can be viewed in Chrome
Fun Stuff: Games and More
More fun stuff is listed under the appropriate app above.
Earth View extension for Chrome - Adds a satellite image from Google Maps every time you open a new tab.|
Terrapattern Alpha (visual search engine for Google Earth still limited) |
Comments and Questions
Please double click to leave your comments and questions on the Padlet below. Please leave your name and email address. The Comments are moderated so I can remove your information before they are posted.